ALEXA High Speed
Record slow motion with ALEXA using frame rates from 60 to 120 fps
The ARRI ALEXA High Speed mode allows the ALEXA family of cameras to run up to 120 fps for slow motion shots, using Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD codecs and Sony 64 GB SxS PRO cards.
By using the same number of pixels and Super 35 sensor area as Regular Speed mode, High Speed mode maintains the same cinematic depth of field and angle of view for all lenses, along with ALEXA's wide exposure latitude, high sensitivity, natural colorimetry, low noise level and organic, film-like image quality. A 50 mm lens in High Speed mode results in exactly the same image as a 50 mm lens in Regular Speed mode.
The High Speed capability is activated on request by ARRI Media via a license key, which is coded to a particular camera and enabled by copying the license to an SD card and loading it into the camera.
To achieve the high frame rates, the camera outputs all images in 4:2:2 color sub-sampling. The REC OUT outputs the same signal as the MON OUT. ARRIRAW, ProRes 4444 and 4:3 sensor modes are not supported.
Recording such high data rates requires the use of SONY’s new SxS PRO 64 GB cards. These cards are built to the same tough reliability and environmental standards as the SxS PRO 32 GB cards, while offering twice the recording capacity and over twice the data rates. Even without the High Speed license, the SxS PRO 64 GB cards allow recording of ProRes 4444 at 60 fps in Regular Speed mode (with SUP 5.0 or later).
ALEXA High Speed license
• Shoot slow motion with ALEXA
• Eliminates the expense of a separate high speed camera
• 60 to 120 fps for Apple ProRes codecs up to 422 HQ or DNxHD 220x
Same exposure latitude, sensitivity, colorimetry and low noise level as Regular Speed mode
Same sensor area
• Same Super 35 cinematic depth of field
• Same Super 35 angle of view for all lenses
High Speed mode outputs 4:2:2 color sampling
• REC OUT = MON OUT
• ARRIRAW, ProRes 4444 and 4:3 sensor modes are not supported
Requires SONY SxS PRO 64 GB card
• Twice the capacity and over twice the data rate of 32 GB cards
• Professional grade cards for a long card life with sustained high data rates
• ProRes 422 HQ or DNxHD 220x at 120 fps in High Speed mode
• ProRes 4444 at 60 fps in Regular Speed mode with SUP 5.0
• Copies data over twice as fast to a computer